My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://heathersmean.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Tuesday, January 3, 2012

What to believe in?

 I ask these questions all the time:

Do I believe what I hear or read about the Catholic Church through the Catholic Church?
Do I believe what I hear or read about regarding American History?

And then there is the self reflection:
Do I believe in anything I do or say?

So what gave the Vatican II the privilege in the early 1960s to integrate modern human experience with church principles based on Jesus Christ?  The council that formed to assist in making these changes were made up of not only Catholics, but also Protestant and Eastern Orthodox believers.  What came of this?
To new the church? A more modern church?  Changed Eucharistic fasting from midnight until Mass that day to a three hour fast before mass. Does anyone know why they fast before taking the body of Christ?

Kneeling-I always had an issue with this.  Because of the Vatican II, communicants no longer knelt down at a rail to take the host, but continued to stand. Does any average Catholic know why we kneel at certain points in a mass.

And the most dramatic change was the idea of what it meant to be a Catholic.  By 1965, to be a Catholic now meant to believe more or less anything one wished to believe, or at least in the sense in which one personally interpreted it.  One could be a Catholic 'in spirit'. One could take Catholic to mean the 'culture' in which one was born, rather than to mean a creed making objective and rigorous demands.

So here we are 40 Years later. The Church has changed the celebration of Mass. And the very reason that many of those 1960s changes were made have just made some Catholics question their believability in of their religion.
Those Catholics that they welcomed back to Catholicism in 1965 just got discouraged.
Modern not anymore. 
We now have a vernacular more faithful to that of Latin. So for some of those "Catholics" mentioned above, the changes have proved to be an univitation to believe in the Catholic world.

Okay, that was a long rant about religion thus I won't get into American history. Today.

But one last reflection question I must tackle: Do I believe in anything I do or say?
So my mantra this year is New Year New Thoughts.
I have chosen to create new intentions for the year and believe in them.
More Clarity and less Reality.

“Reality is merely an illusion, although a very persistent one.”  Albert Einstein

1 comment:

  1. Enjoy reading your writing interesting ideas and thoughts thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete