My blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://heathersmean.com/
and update your bookmarks.

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Thanksgiving is for the birds

I have to be honest...I never really wanted to celebrate Thanksgiving.  I really didn't like turkey.  Barely (and that's stretching it) watched football.  Couldn't fathom the story of the Pilgrims and the Indians. 

But each year, I took a piece of turkey and filled up on bread and mashed potatoes and whatever pasta dish that was prepared for me.  Then came my son's first Thanksgiving-it was all about that: His first.  So I celebrated.  I enjoyed.  Now, 5 years later, I have a different view.

I like turkey more, especially doused in cranberry sauce.  I still barely ( and that's stretching it) watch football.  And I still can't fathom the story of the Indians and Pilgrims.  But that's not just it...

Besides all this hoopla, I am so very thankful for what I have.  My son being the most important of those things.  This year I will celebrate Thanksgiving alone, to reflect on all those things that I have and that enable me to be who I am.  Hurricane Sandy and the personal events that I am facing right now show me what I am thankful for.  It has taken these horrible situations to prove to me that Thanksgiving is more than the bird we eat, more than the football we watch, more than the Pilgrims and Indians.

This was my list on twitter for the this week:

Thankful for the generosity of people. Not only during # but all through my life.
Thankful for the ability to see and hear and smell and taste
Thankful for all the opportunities I've been presented with
Thankful for being raised by 5 women
Another day... Thankful for a shredder
It's amazing how one person can break you down to pieces. I'm thankful for Taylor Swift's never ever gonna get back together
Countdown to #. I'm thankful for my Daniel

THANKSGIVING is about what is here and now.  What we have to be thankful for.  Who we have that we are thankful for.  Love, generosity, hope, life, people, water, food, shelter...So much more than you think.

Be Thankful.
Happy Thanksgiving to all!

1 comment:

  1. Happy Thanksgiving to you and Daniel. I am thankful to have you both in my life. xoxox

    ReplyDelete